What’s the best wire service for press releases?
Whether a product launch, new headquarters, acquisition or other major announcements, blasting a press release over a wire service can exponentially boost coverage. But with so many options, how do you pick the right one?
The selection process starts with establishing a consistent set of criteria to judge each platform and thoroughly researching each.
Collecting wire service information
What we found is that "consistent" is the key term, as each wire service presents key information on reporting, customer service, ease-of-use and reach according to its own strengths. More often than not, procuring consistent information to enable cross-service comparison requires wire service representatives to be contacted directly for the best concrete information.
For a recent client announcement, we focused our search on PR Newswire, Business Wire and Marketwired. Based on our conversations with service representatives, we found the following pros and cons of each:
- Offers in-depth reports on ROI, coverage analysis
- Suffers from higher pricing than competitive services and somewhat concentrated, limited reach
- Offers most appealing pricing options, including discount options per release or group of releases
- Suffers from difficult platform navigation, more limited reach and a rougher user experience
Ultimately, the K-Team recommended PR Newswire, for the following reasons:
- Prompt and courteous customer service
- Flexibility to customize press release packages and pricing options
- Leverages back-end coding to reach niche distribution channels – perfect for targeting niche industries
Big results for a major press release
With the help of a PR Newswire representative, account setup went smoothly and preparing the blast was a breeze, with verbal confirmation from PR Newswire for quality control. And most importantly, the platform delivered where it counts, with plenty of pickup – a major product announcement was picked up over 140 times with a potential audience of more than 86 million impressions.
Of course, each situation is different and with different wire services carving out their own distinct niches, there's no one-size-fits-all answer. Taking the time to work with each service to find the best fit based on your situation is the key to success.